Monday, October 4, 2010

Blog 3: The Matrix Analysis

The matrix is a lie. The world as we know it as of 1999 is a total lie. It’s a simulation, a distraction for the real life that we as humans should all have the privilege to know about and understand. But, is living in The Matrix that bad? The “real world” really isn’t all sunshine and rainbows itself. Knowing that you live in the planet as opposed to on the planet is a little unsettling to me personally. Knowing that the food is nothing but this strange jelly substance is also unsettling. Are there any positive points to living in the “real world”, besides the fact that you are now aware of the truth? It’s really quite depressing when you really think about it.

In the real world, you are nothing but a machine. You are not a human being. You have artificial skin and hair, but you are a computer. You live the life of your human self day in and day out, living through the daily struggles presented to you as you continue your quest to understand and enjoy the life ahead of you. Then suddenly, you are dragged out of this world that you know, and are told that it is a lie. You would feel pretty crappy to say the least. The matrix is the only way you know, the only way of understanding. The real world offers no real refuge or safeness. It’s a mean, mean place where you can die of famine or disease in an instant, that’s really the only similarity it has to the real world.

In essence, the matrix is the perfect life. You live with everyone that you love, you have friends. On top of that, the real world is a real mind ****. Everything you ever believed, in terms of religion and fate are thrown out the window. None of it exists; it was always a figment of your imagination, along with everything else in the matrix. I’m not saying that I’d seriously enjoy living in the matrix if I was aware of it, but the real world has no future. It’s dark, grimy and just depressing. I seriously would go crazy knowing that I am a computer, with a plug outlet on the back of my neck. Knowing that I would have to re-evaluate EVERYTHING about life in a short amount of time would kill me. What would be my purpose in the real world? I’m just a battery waiting to happen. I can learn anything I want by having something plugged into me and sent to my brain. It would be pointless.

When you take a step back and look at it, it’s really one of the toughest decisions you would ever have to make. Think about it, the matrix is hell. Everything is fake, a lie, your friends, family aren’t real. On the other hand, the real world is just a depressing future, with no other future but destruction and strife. Nothing to really look forward to except being chased by other computers and being turned into a living battery. The real world is also, in a sense hell. So if Morphus presented you the chance to follow him into the real world, I would probably say you would have to be careful, and pick your poison. On the bright side, if you choose to return to the matrix, you forget about any discussion about the real world that ever happened and you can go back and enjoy your steak with your family and friends.

Personally I would choose to live in the real world. I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t like to be lied to, I actually really hate to be lied to, thus I would rather live in a strange new world where at least I am told the truth. It would suck for a long time, knowing that I’d have to try and forget about the people I love back at my old home, but you have to move on and fight the power. You have to move on to bigger things when the opportunity presents itself or else you’ll be living within your own lie. Your own matrix.

4 comments:

Michelle T said...

hey great writing! When it comes thinking about it, to make that decision of the red pill or the blue it's srsly tough. Great linking to the movie and real life!

Anonymous said...

Everyone says the truth shall set you free but it pisses me off,and then people say they'd rather be pissed off than pissed on if the matrix means being pissed on by a lie but i can do anything i want in that lie i go with the blue pill great writing by the way

Sal said...

Strong words. I like the passion behind this entry, viva la revolucion.

AnjiMolina said...

Good entry, I especially like the intro. The line "The world as we know it as of 1999 is a total lie." is an excellent grabber. It really engaged me as a reader to read on. You also closed the essay really well. Good stuff.